Girls on the Run Coach
Coaching a Girls on the Run site is one of the most rewarding volunteer experiences you can have! We at GOTR are always looking for healthy minded, positive and FUN individuals to lead a team of a maximum of 16 girls. Parents, teachers, school administrators, college students, runners, non-runners, and people who are committed to developing and celebrating our youth make great coaches! Coaches serve as role models and mentors for girls who participate at more than 35 GOTR sites in Willamette Valley. At each site, 2 coaches (at least one female) deliver the GOTR curriculum, twice a week for 90 minutes. If you are passionate about the GOTR mission, committed to working with a group of girls throughout the 10 week season in the spring, and able to bring energy and joy to each practice, please join us!
We are now accepting applications for the 2015 Fall Season.
Head Coaches must be at least 21 years old.
Click here for a printable 2014-2015 Coach Flyer
More information on coach requirements can be found in the Coach Application. Your application will be forwarded to our Program Manager who will follow up with you shortly.
How Do I Become A Coach?
- Complete the Coach Application and background check
- Attend one of three Coaches' Training Sessions
- Commit to attending all lessons offered each season and the End-of-Season 5K Celebration
- Attend Coaches' Meetings (Kick-off, Mid-season, End-of-Season)
Qualifications to be a Girls on the Run Coach
- A commitment to upholding the mission of Girls on the Run -Enthusiasm!
- Able to attend all lessons during the season and to be active with girls.
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- If a parent, must not bring other non-participating children to lessons with you
- Prompt reply to all communication with parents, girls and GOTR organization
- Receive a positive evaluation by parents of our participants at the conclusion of the season
- CPR/First Aid Certification required for Head Coaches
A Coach's Commitment
- Uphold Girls on the Run mission and values
- Attend and lead lessons with a positive attitude
- Motivate and get to know girls ages 8-12 (Elementary) or ages 11-14 (Middle School)
- Arrive on time to lessons which occur twice a week for 90 minutes for 10 weeks.
- Cheer on your girls at the End-of-Season 5K
- Be willing to be active with the girls, but not necessarily be a strong runner
- Complete a five hour Coach Training
- Attend two mandatory Coach Meetings (before season and before final 5K Celebration)
- Use provided gift card to buy healthy snacks
- Work together with 2-3 coaches per team of at most 16 girls.
- Head Coach must be 21 years old and female and Assistant Coach must be 18 years old
- Agree to an online background check for $7.50
- Have fun! Be creative! RUN with your girls!
Save-the-Dates for Coaches
Spring 2014 Season: March 9- June 2, 2015
5K Celebration Saturday, May 30, 2015
Coaches' Training Dates
Jan 31, Eugene
Feb 7, Corvallis
Feb 14, Salem
Access Coach Resources
GOTR Coach Application